A favicon is a small image next to your website title in the browser tab. This tiny image is there to help site visitors identify your website and brand. Thanks to this image, returning visitors will build instant recognition and connection to your brand. It’s there to help you establish your website’s identity and help with user experience.
One of the many benefits of the favicon is that if you have multiple tabs opened, you won’t be able to see sites’ names, but you will be able to recognize them thanks to the favicon. So, adding a favicon is a pretty important step, and we highly recommend you upload a WordPress favicon.
To help you upload it, we listed all the ways you can add this tiny image to your website.
But first, how can you create a favicon?
At its core, the favicon is your brand’s logo. To create it, simply resize your site’s logo to a 512 px size in height and width. WordPress favicon will be displayed as a 16×16 px square. Knowing this, you want to choose an image that will look good once it’s shrunk down to 16×16 dimensions. The image should be in a .png, .jpeg, or .gif format.
Note: To ensure your favicon is visible in search results, be sure to follow Google guidelines.
Adding a WordPress favicon to your website
There are two methods you can use to add the favicon to your site一via WordPress Admin Panel or via an FTP client.
Method 1: Adding a WP favicon using the Dashboard
Here are the steps to uploading your brand’s logo as a favicon via WP Admin Panel:
1. Log in to the WordPress Admin panel (WordPress Dashboard).
2. Navigate to Appearance → Customize.
3. Click on the Site Identity tab.
4. In the Site Icon section, click the Select image button.
5. Click on Upload Files and choose the file from the folders in your computer.
If the image you are trying to upload exceeds the recommended size, WordPress will allow you to crop it. Once you crop the image, click the Crop Image button. If the image you selected matches the recommended size, click the Skip Cropping button, save your changes, and you will be done with uploading.
Method 2: Adding a WordPress favicon using an FTP
If you don’t want to add a favicon to your site within the WordPress Admin Panel, know that it is possible to add it via your File Transfer Protocol (FTP). But before you can do so, you’ll need to create a favicon package that contains various files and an HTML code.
Here’s how you can do all of these steps at once:
1. Open an online tool for generating favicons. We recommend you use the Real Favicon Generator.
2. Click the Select your favicon image button.
3. Make the necessary changes to the favicon.
4. When you are done making the changes, click the click on “Generate your Favicons and HTML code” at the bottom of the page.
5. Download the favicon package. The file will have a .ico extension. Make sure you name the .ico file ‘favicon’, so it can be easily found and recognized.
6. Access your site’s files via an FTP client.
7. Locate your website’s root directory.
3. Upload the favicon package to the directory.
4. Open your site’s header.php file and paste this code in the <head> tag, before the opening <body> tag:
<link rel="icon" href="https://www.yourwebsite.com/favicon.png" type="image/x-icon" /> <link rel="shortcut icon" href="https://www.yourwebsite.com/favicon.png" type="image/x-icon" />
Make sure that your domain and favicon path are entered correctly. And you’re all done; the favicon has been uploaded!
We hope this post helped you understand how to add a WordPress favicon. If you have questions about your Themes Kingdom theme, feel free to contact us一we are happy to answer all your inquiries.