Here’s a sweet and useful plugin we found the other day. It’s called Pixpie and it’s basically a magic wand of a plugin that optimizes your images and speeds up your WordPress site.
It works by using sending images over to Pixpie for processing. Each time you upload an image to your WordPress site, it is sent to the Pixpie Cloud. The cloud analyzes you picture using artificial intelligence algorithms and applies the best possible optimization.
The result is saved in your WordPress Media Library. The original image can be automatically backed up or replaced by optimized image. Average JPEG file is compressed by 40%, PNG file by 50%, without visible loss in quality.
This means that your website will load faster. And you know who loves fast websites? Search engines. So Google will push your website in higher rankings. You’ll also save bandwidth as well as storage space on your host. It’s a win-win for everybody.
Pixpie has a bunch of features:
- 500 compressions per month free.
- JPEG and PNG images supported
- Plugin optimizes images uploaded to the Media Library on-the-fly. All generated thumbnails are optimized too.
- Intelligent lossy compression, so resulting image is visually identical to the original.
- The plugin keeps originals by default, so it’s easy to roll back the changes.
- The plugin does not require any root or command-line access.
- WooCommerce compatible.
- WP Retina 2x compatible.
You can optimize approximately 100 images on Free plan each month (for regular WordPress installation). The exact result depends on the number of thumbnail sizes that are in use in your WordPress installation. For a small additional fee, you can optimize more images per month.
To see how it works try the live demo.
And if you’re into it, get Pixpie at the WordPress Directory.