Widely is WordPress blog/magazine theme, but it’s also great as portfolio theme. Modern, minimalistic design, without clutter, will put visual content in the first place. It is ideal for blogs/magazines from which the inspiration came from, with content related to photography, graphic design, fashion, art, architecture, interior design and other creative fields. Widely. can also be used for other purposes, such as an agency or personal portfolio.
WordPress is well-known for its ease of installation. Under most circumstances, installing WordPress is a very simple process and takes less then five minutes to complete. Many web hosts now offer tools to automatically install WordPress for you. However, we strongly recommend that you install WordPress yourself, the following guide will help http://codex.WordPress.org/Installing_WordPress.
Theme can be installed in two different ways:
- Installing through WordPress
- The Traditional installation using FTP client
Installing through WordPress
Installing a theme through WordPress is quite easy and it will take only few minutes of your time. Login into WordPress admin panel, and go to Appearance -> Themes. Click on Add New button, and then Upload from the navigation bar right below it. Click on Choose File button, and browse your computer for widely.zip file and click Install Now. After installation is complete, click on Activate link.
The Traditional installation using FTP client
First things first, you will need an FTP client (example FileZilla which is free, easy to use and it works on Windows, Mac and Linux) to access your web host server. Now that you have access to your WordPress installation files simply transfer your unzipped theme to your server in the ..wp-content/themes/. The only thing left to do after that is activating the theme, to do that go to your WordPress admin panel and navigate to Appearance -> Themes, search for Widely and click Activate link right below it.
First Steps After Theme Activation
Widely theme uses latest post reading setting. Of course, you can set theme to display desired static page, instead of posts, but you will also need to create posts page. Please note that setting up static landing page, you will not be able to use the slider and other homepage features. If you need to display content from static page on the homepage, please use theme panel options instead.
Setting theme reading settings – Latest Posts landing page
Login into WordPress admin panel, and go to Settings -> Reading. Set Front page displays option to Your latest posts. Press Save Changes button in order to populate changes.
Setting theme reading settings – Static Page landing page
Login into WordPress admin panel and go to Pages – > Add New. Create new page – enter title (e.g. Home). Click on Publish button in order to populate page. Now create another new page (e.g. Blog), with Default page template, using the same method.
When you are done, go to Settings -> Reading. and set the theme to display static page. Then select previously create pages – for Front page select your desired page (e.g. Home), and for Posts page select your page with Default page template (e.g. Blog) . The page you select for your Post page will display all blog posts.
Press Save Changes button in order to populate changes.
Next important thing to do is setting your permalinks, we strongly suggest the use of pretty permalinks. Go to Setting -> Permalinks and select Post name.
Installing suggested plugins
Widely theme comes with extra plugins. After theme activation, you will be prompted to install and/or activate those plugins.
Some plugins are required, since they adds theme functionalities. Other plugins are there to add some extra features.
TK Shortcodes plugin will add awesome shortcodes to your theme. With them you can enrich your content and create different content layouts. Learn more about Themes Kingdom Shortcodes.
TK Social Share
TK Social Share plugin adds social share component to Widely theme. After plugin installation, and activation, new option TK Social Share will appear in admin panel sidebar. TK Social Share plugin settings:
- General Settings: Her you can set turn on or off where social share plugin will appear – on posts, pages and on archive page.
- Social Settings: Easily add or remove desired sharing services. Simply drag and drop desired social networks sharing to enabled services.
- Display Settings: Display settings panel allows you to customize position of sharing buttons, and to select style for your sharing buttons.
Importing Demo Content
If you want your site to look like Widely demo, you will need to import demo content.
Go to your Themes Kingdom account and click on the XML icon to download demo file.
After download is complete, you will need to import demo content:
- Login into your WordPress admin panel.
- Go to Tools -> Import.
- Click on the WordPress, install the plugin if you don’t already have it.
- When the plugin is opened click on the Choose File button.
- Select XML file you previously downloaded.
- Select authors to assign to posts. You may choose an existing author or create a new one.
- WordPress will then import each of the posts, pages, custom post types, comments, and categories contained in our demo version.
- Done! Very important thing to do after you are done with importing demo content is updating menus. To do that go to Appearance -> Menus. Select desired menu and under the Menu Settings at the bottom of the page check Primary Menu, then click Save Menu button to save changes.
For more detailed explanation how to Import demo content, visit this link.
The Customizer is great WordPress feature which allows you to customize theme and set theme options. Customization options available in The Customizer:
Site Identity allows you to set your site title, tagline and icon. Site title is the name of your site and it’s displayed in the header, where logo is displayed. Tagline is short description, or your motto, and it’s displayed just under the title. This setting is the same as in Settings -> General in WordPress admin panel.
- Site title: Name of your site.
- Tagline: Site punchline.
- Site Icon: The Site Icon is used as a browser and app icon for your site. Icons must be square, and at least 512px wide and tall.
Colors panel allows you to set background color for some elements in the theme.
Background Image allows you to upload image that will be used as background image instead of solid color.
- Background Image: Upload your background image. JPG, PNG and GIF formats are supported.
- Background Repeat: If you are using large, one piece image, then you should set No Repeat option. However if you plan to use smaller, repeating pattern, then you should select:
- Tile: Image will be repeated by default, starting from top left corner.
- Tile Horizontally: Image will be repeated horizontally, starting from top left corner.
- Tile Vertically: Image will be repeated vertically, starting from top left corner.
- Background Position: Defines where and how background should be placed. You should use Center if you are using large, one piece background.
- Background Attachment: Defines if background image will have fixed position, and always visible to the user, or it will scroll as user scrolls through the site.
This option allows you to quick manage created menus. You can select which created menu will be displayed as Primary Menu or Social Menu. If you need to manage actual menu items, you can do that in Appearance -> Menu.
Widgets section allows you to quickly manage widgets in widget areas. This option allows you the same possibility as Widgets option in WordPress admin panel.
Static Front Page
This option works the same way as Settings -> Reading. It allows you to set them to read latest post or to use static pages for landing and blog page.
Widely theme comes with one default menu location – primary menu.
The Primary menu is located in theme’s header area. This menu can contain custom links, pages, categories, tags, or posts.
Creating Primary menu
Login into WordPress admin panel and go to Appearance -> Menus. Click on Create a new menu link. Enter name for your menu(e.g. Primary), and press Create Menu button. Your new menu is created. Now you can add your pages, posts, categories, tags and links to the menu. When you are done check option Primary Menu and press Save Menu button.
- Click on “create new menu” to add new menu.
- Here you should define a name for your menu, after that click on the Create Menu button right next to it.
- Select pages you want to add to your menu. When you are done with selecting pages, click on Add to menu button below. You can also add custom links, posts, categories etc. as you can see in the panels below.
- If you want to customize or delete menu item, click on the arrow icon in the top right corner of the menu box to expand it. Inside you will find:
- This menu editor allows you to create multi-level menus. To do that simply hold your left mouse button and drag desired menu items left or right. Dragging menu items slightly to the right will make them sub-menus for the menu item that is above them. You can also change the order of appearance of menu items by dragging them up or down. Remember to save the changes when you are done with editing (No4).
- Set “Primary Menu” check box to checked if you want this to be your primary menu.
Widgets are used to add content and features to your sidebar and footer. There are default WordPpress widgets and and custom widgets that come with the theme. Adding and removing widgets is quite easy, just follow the instructions below:
Login into your WordPpress admin panel and navigate to Appearance -> Widgets.
- Choose a widget you would like to use, and drag it into the sidebar to right (shown in No 3). Widgets will become active after a page refresh.
- Widget area where you place desired widgets.
- You can add, remove or customize widgets in widget areas. To do that click on the arrow icon in the top right corner of the widget box to expand it. You can also change the order of appearance by simply dragging widgets up and down.
Widely theme have only three footer widget areas.
Newsletter widget works with two services – MadMimi and MailChimp. Both MadMimi and MailChimp will require that you to have an active account. For detailed instructions how to set MadMimi or MailChimp accounts, please check this link.
Twitter Stream widget
Twitter widget will display desired number of latest Tweets. It requires you to have Twitter account and Twitter API key.
You can find all the instructions how to setup Twitter here.
- Title: Title that will be displayed above the tweets.
- Consumer key: Key that you have generated in Twitter API setup. Details how to generate API keys can be found here.
- Consumer Secret: Equivalent to your Twitter password. Details how to generate API keys can be found here.
- Access Token: Twitter API token. Details how to generate API keys can be found here.
- Access Token Secret: Twitter API token password. Details how to generate API keys can be found here.
- Cache Tweets: Twitter caching option that allows you to set how often tweets will be obtained. This option should speed up site, and reduce chance that you will hit Twitter API calls quota. Usual value is between 2 – 4 hours.
- Tweets to display: Number of tweets that will be displayed.
- Exclude replies: Check this option if you don’t wish to display replies to your tweets.
Widely theme has custom settings admin panel which allows you to customize the theme and set different features to it. Login into your WordPress admin panel and navigate to Widely and you will see four different tabs:
General options allows you to set global options for the theme, such as header logo, favicon and so on.
- Header logo: JPEG, GIF or PNG image, 195×59 pixels recommended up to 500KB.
- Favicon: Website icon, ICO file, dimensions: 16×16.
- Google Analytic code: Here you can paste your Google Analytics. Please paste whole code.
- Footer Copy Text: Text that will be displayed in the footer. By default this options is used to display copyright information.
Home Page tab allows you to customize your home page. In Widely theme, homepage is automatically generated, but you can customize what will be displayed.
- Choose Category for featured slider: Slider on the homepage will display featured image from posts from selected category.
- If checked Home page will display page content that you choose: Enable this option if you need to display content from static page.
- Choose page to use on Home Content: Select from which page content will be displayed. Only content from page with Default Template will be displayed.
- Show Latest News: If enabled, four latest posts will be displayed on the homepage.
In Social tab you can set accounts for social networks. After you enter and save social accounts, social icons will appear in the footer.
- RSS: If checked RSS icon will be enabled.
- Show Twitter: If checked Twitter will be displayed before widgets.
- RSS Feed URL: URL to RSS feed (e.g. http://www.themeskingdom.com/feed/).
- Google Plus Account: Enter your Google+ account (e.g. 123456789012345678901).
- Facebook: Enter URL to your Facebook profile (e.g. themeskingdom).
- Twitter: Enter your Twitter username (e.g. themeskingdom).
- LinkedIn: Enter URL to your LinkedIn profile (e.g. http://www.linkedin.com/company/2687325 ).
- Using Twitter requires having a Twitter API key. You can find all the instructions how to setup twitter here.
In contact section you can change error and notification messages and change Google maps parameters.
- Show Map: If checked, map will be displayed on page with Contact Us template.
- Text on the side of contact form: Text that will be displayed next to contact form.
- Email address: Email where all messages from contact form will be sent.
- Subject for your contact form: Email subject when you get mail from contact form.
- Name error message: Message that will be displayed when name is missing.
- E-mail error message: Message that will be displayed when email is missing or is in incorrect format.
- Message text error message: Message that will be displayed when message text is missing.
- Message on successful e-mail send: Message that will be displayed when message is successfully sent.
- Message for error on e-mail send: General error message. This error message is related to server or connection errors.
- Google map X coordinate: Google maps latitude.
- Google map Y coordinate: Google maps longitude.
- Google map zoom factor: Zoom factor – higher value, higher zoom in. Recommended value is 16.
- Marker Title: Text that will be displayed in balloon on the map marker.
- Google Map type: Map type. You can choose between hybrid, roadmap, terrain and satellite.
Widely theme comes with several different post formats: Standard, Gallery, Video, Quote and Link.
- Post title: Name of your post. It will be displayed on the front end.
- Post content: Content of your post – text, images, shortcodes and other.
- Publish: Publish options. You can set custom date and time for publishing your post, and set post status – draft, in review or published.
- Post formats: Different post formats will display content in different way. You can choose one of the following post formats:
- Category: Each post in WordPress is filed under one or more categories. This aids in navigation and allows posts to be grouped with others of similar content.
- Tags: Tags are words that allows you to organize posts by similar content.
- Set featured image: Featured image will be used as cover image on front end.
Standard post format
Standard post format is the most common format, and it can be used for different purposes. In Standard post format, featured image will be displayed above the title and post content.
Image post format
Image post format works the same way as standard post format, but it’s main purpose is to make post organization and marking more easy in admin panel.
Gallery post format
Gallery post format allows you to set several images which will be displayed as slideshow on the single post page. After selection Gallery format, additional Gallery Fields will be displayed. You can add additional Gallery images fileds, so you can upload desired images. Featured image will be used as cover image on the front page, while additional images will be displayed as slideshow on single post page.
Video post format
Video post format allows you to easily add video to your post. After selecting Video format, additional Video Options panel will be displayed below editor area. Here you can paste URL to your video (e.g. YouTube, Vimeo…). Player with your video will be displayed above the post title and content.
Pages are for content such as About, Contact, etc. Pages live outside of the normal blog chronology, and are often used to present timeless information about yourself or your site — information that is always applicable. You can use Pages to organize and manage any content.
Widely theme comes with different page templates to display different information. Included page templates: Default Template, Blog, Contact Us and Portfolio.
- Default Template – Default Template is multipurpose page template, without any special property.
- Blog – Blog page template is used to display all blog posts in reverse chronological order.
- Contact Us – Contact Us page template is used to display map and contact form. Primary is used to display contact information. If you need to set custom email address where email will be sent, you can do that in The Customizer -> Contact.
- Portfolio – Portfolio page template is used to display all Portfolio posts.
Portfolio post type allows you to create Portfolio post type. Portfolio posts will be displayed on page with Portfolio template.
- Portfolio title: Name of your portfolio item.
- Publish: Publish options. You can set custom date and time for publishing your post, and set post status – draft, in review or published.
- Categories: Portfolio items can be associated to categories. This way visitors can filter portfolio items by specific category.
- Featured image: Featured image will be used as cover image.
If you need additional assistance for this theme, please submit a ticket to our support system.